Returning Veterans’ Homestead Exemption
What does this exemption do?
This exemption provides a one or two year reduction in the Equalized Assessed Value (EAV) by the amount of the exemption. For the current assessment year the reduction is $5,000.
Who can qualify for this exemption?
To qualify the veteran must meet the following requirements:
· Be an Illinois resident who has served as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Illinois National Guard, or U.S. Reserve Forces.
· Returning from active duty in an armed conflict involving the armed forces of the United States during the assessment year.
· A veteran who dies during his or her active duty service is eligible to receive this exemption.
· Owned or had a legal or equitable interest in the property used as the principal residence on January 1 of the assessment year.
· Must be liable for the payment of the property taxes.
This exemption may be claimed only in the year in which the eligible veteran taxpayer returns from active duty in an armed conflict. If a veteran taxpayer received this exemption, then is again deployed on active duty in an armed conflict and returns again in a subsequent year, the veteran taxpayer is eligible for this exemption again if the other conditions are met.
How do I apply for this exemption?
You must apply for the exemption with the County Assessment Office. You can get an application here (Returning Veterans’ Standard Exemption Form) or you can call (309) 937-3570 and one will be mailed to you.