Geographic Information System (GIS)
The Henry County GIS Department is a division of the Henry County Assessment office and is entirely funded by recording fees instead of tax dollars. The GIS Department is responsible for maintaining County parcel cadastral maps, farmland use maps and data, soil maps and calculations, verifying recorded legal descriptions, data analysis, map production and data distribution.
Henry County GIS also promotes growth and job creation in Henry County by helping businesses make better decisions for site location and resource availability.
Statement of Purpose
The Henry County Geographic Information System provides improved methods for collecting, managing and using location based information to analyze trends, design spatial models and develop projections to support decision making processes and enhance public access to data in an equitable manner.
Henry County will promote fact-based decision making for both day-to-day operation needs and long range planning to benefit citizens of this County. The Henry County Geographic Information System, hereinafter GIS, will enable elected officials, department heads, county employees, public and private agencies and citizens of Henry County to graphically view and analyze information, and apply GIS technology to Henry County issues.
- To provide a cost-effective means for coordinating, sharing and disseminating location-based information in an equitable manner
- To enhance communication among local, regional, state and federal government agencies, as well as utilities, businesses and industries through cooperation and data integration
- To promote increased awareness about GIS technology and applications to the public and private agencies
- To coordinate the development of GIS databases within Henry County in order to reduce redundancy and increase efficiently
- To provide technical assistance for Henry County GIS projects
- To update and maintain Henry County's digital cadastral base map
- To maintain the Henry County digital orthophotos
- To create and maintain GIS data standards for Henry County
- To assist with compiling and maintaining information (metadata) about Henry County GIS data
GIS Data Summary
- North American Datum 1983, State Plane Illinois West (NAD_1983_StatePlane_Illinois_West_FIPS_1202_Feet)
Primary Geographic Features
|Cadastral_Anno||Textual elements (annotation) with subtypes like lot or parcel dimension|
|Cadastral_Line||Polyline's are "tagged" as one, or more, of the following features: Corporate, County, Geographic Township, Indian, Lot, Misc., Parcel, Political Township, Railroad Centerline, Railroad Right-of-way, Road Centerline, Road Right-of-way, Section, Subdivision, Water|
|Cartography||Linear features which help describe other features like ownership hooks, dimension tics, etc.|
|Flood_Poly||To designate bulletin-810 flood areas|
|GeoTwpPoly||Township boundaries used for meets & bounds legal descriptions (e.g. T15N R5E = Kewanee Township)|
|Landuse_Poly||Designates farm land use|
|ParcelPoly||Area designated to be a parcel|
|PolTwpPoly||Township boundaries as politically designated|
|SectionPoly||Township section boundaries|
|Soils||Soil Survey from NRCS|