Henry County Veteran's Assistance


Rules, Procedures and Eligibility Standards:

The Veterans Assistance Commission (VAC) of HENRY County is a County Governmental Agency operated by and for U.S. Veterans. The VAC is authorized to act as the central committee for veterans' assistance in HENRY County under the Military Veterans Assistance Act (330 ILCS 45/1 et.seq.) and is funded in accordance with the provisions of the Illinois Counties Code (55 ILCS 5/1-1001 et.seq.).

The Veterans Assistance program is an emergency and interim financial assistance program and should not be considered to be an ongoing financial supportive program. Beginning June 01, 2017 - continual and ongoing assistance exceeding 60 calendar days shall on the 90th consecutive calendar day render the household ineligible for assistance for the period of 45 calendar days; eligibility may be renewed after the 45 day period of ineligibility. All assistance provided by the VAC is predicated on the established standard of need as set forth by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS). It is not the intent of either the Commission or the County to provide assistance either less than or in excess of the levels of assistance adopted by the IDHS.


Applicants for Veterans Assistance shall be residents of HENRY County and unable to provide food, shelter, and medical care for themselves or their dependents. Applicants must have applied for Public Aid INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIP WHERE THE VETERAN LIVES, (examples include but are not limited to AFDC, Food Stamps, and medical) and registered and working with IDES, Vet Reps; if able to work. 

To be determined exempt from employment, a veteran must provide documentation from the VA, the veteran's VA physician or another federal or state agency which unambiguously states that the veteran is presently unable to work due to a disability. If the documentation does not state that the reason for remaining unemployed is PERMANENT and TOTAL, the veteran shall update the VAC as to employment every 3 months. 


Every veteran has the right to receive and submit a written application for Veterans Assistance. 


  • Applicants for assistance from the VAC must present a DD-214 or Certificate of Service showing Honorable Discharge or General Under Honorable Conditions. If the applicant does not have a DD-214 or Certificate of Service, he/she must authorize the VAC to obtain a copy of the appropriate records before assistance can be approved.
  • Eligible Veterans:
    A veteran whose last period of active military service was Honorable and met the "time in service" requirement for the era in which the veteran served or the veteran was discharged for a disability incurred in the line of duty (not as a result of the members' own misconduct) that was found to be service connected by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Veterans who began Active Service after September 7, 1980 must complete a minimum of 24 consecutive months' active duty or one day of combat during a period of hostilities as recognized by the President and Congress of the United States of America.
  • Veterans who began Active Service before September 8, 1980 must complete a minimum of 181 consecutive active duty days or one day of combat during a period of hostilities as recognized by the President and Congress of the United States of America.
  • Reservists or National Guard Members who were involuntarily activated or federalized by the President of the United States or the Secretary of Defense during a period of hostility, served in the theater of hostility, and completed the term for which the member was activated.
  • Any Honorably Discharged Reservist or National Guard Member who was federally activated and served honorable for a minimum of 24 consecutive active duty months of service other than active duty for training.
  • Service Connected Disability if a chronic illness or injury is found to be related to the veterans' military service to a degree of 0% or greater by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Residency: As provided by the Illinois Counties Code (55ILCS 5/5-2006), the funds provided by the VAC of HENRY County for its assistance programs are obtained solely from appropriated tax moneys levied on property owners in HENRY County. Therefore, all veterans, and their families, seeking assistance from the VAC of HENRY County shall be residents of the State of Illinois and shall have been residents of the County of HENRY for at least sixty (60) consecutive days prior to seeking assistance, with no present intent to move from HENRY County.
  • Indigence: Standards of indigence are applied by the Department of Human Resources in the State of Illinois and the Standards of indigence set by the Veterans Assistance Commission.
  • Veterans Death: Eligible Dependents/Spouses upon Death of Veteran: If the dependent is less than 18 years of age and/or you are the spouse of the veteran, assistance may be granted. (Death Certificate required).
  • Misconduct involves deliberate or intentional wrongdoing with knowledge of or wanton and reckless disregard of its probable consequences. Such a discharge would ban a veteran from Veterans Assistance.


Food orders and personal items: Dependant upon the number of qualifying household members. Dependant 

Utilities and fuel: Utility payments will be made, providing the applicant qualifies in other respects. No deposits or past due bills will be paid to the utility company.

Rent Payments: This Veterans Assistance office does not pay security deposits, back rents or home finding fees. Rents shall not be paid to relatives; unless it is a separate rental dwelling, 


Honorable Discharge: Is a discharge in which the character of discharge is described as Honorable and General Under Honorable Conditions.

Last Period of Active Military Service: Refers to the last period of active military service or discharge, whether the veteran has served one or more terms of Active Military Service.

Active Military Service: 
Is full time service in a branch of the United States Military as opposed to Reserve duty where a member is still in the military but not actively engaged. Active duty for training, service as a Cadet or Midshipman at the United States Military Academy, the United States Naval Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy, United States Air Force Academy, or in any component of the Reserve Officers Training Corps is not considered as qualifying service


  • Application to State Veteran Home
  • Free Transportation to VA Hospital in Iowa City & CBOC Bettendorf - 7 days advance notice is required. 
  • Help in obtaining military records
  • Provide Memorial Day Flags & Markers for Veteran graves
  • VA Health Registration
  • VA Compensation and Pension Claims & Case Management - by appointment only, usually on Wednesdays. 
Phone: 309-937-3450  




307 West Center Street
Cambridge, IL   61238
Office Hours:       
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday & Tuesday
WEDNESDAYS - by appt. only